Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years Later....

Today is 9/11.


This time, seven years ago, i was on the bus in awe as we listened to the news radio instead of our usual music radio. Some in tears, others mad, others scared. We were all thinking the same thoughts... how? why? we couldn't even imagine. I remember my mom yelling at me from her room telling me to come see her. I had just gotten out of the shower. My La mesa uniform on, hair wet, i walked in, annoyed because i wanted to finish getting ready. But my mood changed as i looked at her shocked face and turned to the TV, just in time to see the towers fall. They replayed the video of the planes hitting the famous buildings. I remember my mom explaining the situation to me and trying my hardest to comprehend what was happening. I remember getting to school and hugging my friends who were balling, in fear for their parents lives. One of my friends had a parent who lived/worked in New York City and some other of my friends were scared for their parents who worked in high rise buildings in Los Angeles. I remember being scared. My naive little self had no idea what was going on in the world. Had no idea what terrorists were. Had no idea that people would want to do such harm to other innocent people. Then other terror stories started to unfold during the day. The pentagon, The twin towers and the other plane that crashed in Virginia that was thought to be on its way to the White house (i think... doing this from memory. bear with me) It was an attack. Never in my life had i felt like this. The vision of the twin towers with people in it and people in the weapon of choice, the whole thing stunned me. I couldn't get it out of my head.

Seven years later... I'm still in shock as i watch the footage from that unforgettable day. In high school, i watched a documentary that was being filmed about fire fighters on September 11th when they got the call. The documentary caught actual footage of the events of that day. It gave me a perspective of what actually happened in those buildings that day. The bravery of those who so unselfishly entered those buildings to save other people's lives will never be forgotten.

This morning, i watched part of the ceremonies being held all over the country. Still unbelievable. I hope everyone stops for a moment to thank the Lord for the many blessings we enjoy. Today is a day for reflection of what happened on September 11th, 2001, remembrance of those lost and celebration of the ones we hold most dear.
God Bless America!
See Ya Next Time :)

No comments: